recovery, day 2

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I got up...I didn't hurt nearly as badly as I expected to.  It pretty much doesn't hurt to walk on flat ground.  Going up and down (especially down) stairs is still relatively uncomfortable, but tolerable (as in I don't almost cry every time it happens).  

The unfortunate part about my muscles feeling better is that the random bug bites I sustained are now rather annoying.  In addition to the nasty horse fly bite I have on my right elbow...

Photo Aug 27, 13 05 56
I have about 1,000 bites all over my legs (you can see where my pants stopped and the bugs started).  They are so ridiculously itchy that I want to bathe in a vat of calamine lotion!

Photo Aug 27, 14 26 04
Photo Aug 27, 14 26 18
On to less terrible things. 

My recovery plan for this week involves eating a lot to replenish my stores (that was my interpretation of what Doug told me to do, he said you need to "replenish your stores and electrolytes."  I took that to mean eating a lot and drinking lots of Nuun).  

Last night for dinner I had delicious nachos from the Bear Tooth.

Photo Aug 27, 13 04 23
For breakfast this morning I had waffles with PB, banana, and honey.

Photo Aug 27, 13 04 55
This afternoon I went on a run.  No expectations, just running.  I just wanted to see how it felt.  I didn't look at my watch until I was done...I was pleasantly surprised:

Screen shot 2012-08-27 at 2.58.49 PMWhen I got home I had a smoothie (banana, PB, almond milk, and chocolate protein powder) and an ice bath.  I've only ever taken an ice bath once before and I didn't stay in very long.  This time I managed about 10 minutes and after the initial shock wore off, it was amazing.  It was even more amazing after I got out.  All my sore spots were completely numb...genius (and much easier than trying to get the ice pack on all the parts that hurt before it gets too warm)!

I had to run to the grocery store to get some stuff for dinner, while I was there, I found what might be my new favorite food...olive hummus...yum!

Photo Aug 27, 16 20 53
I'd say recovery day #2 has been successful!  I have to work the next three days, which will hopefully keep me moving and loose (since I won't be running).  My plan for Friday is to run a couple of easy miles to make sure my legs still work.  Then it's off to California early Saturday morning and the Disneyland Half Marathon on Sunday!