I'm not a huge oatmeal fan, but when it comes to quick and easy breakfasts, it's hard to beat. My biggest issue with oatmeal is that it doesn't fill me up...because it's mostly carbs, which I tend to burn through pretty quickly in the morning. So, I set out to figure out a tasty way to add protein to my oats in the morning!
The secret? Egg whites! Yes, protein powder works quite well (and my recipe is a combination of both), but I do not want to be reliant on protein powder as a protein source. I already use it as a post workout protein source, so I like to limit its use in other meals during my day. Egg whites, on the other hand, are an amazing, real food source of protein. And while it pains me to buy them, it is possible to find organic just egg white products (i.e. not egg beaters). 1 cup of egg whites has about 26g of protein for just over 100 calories and zero fat. If you aren't worried about macros, you could definitely use a whole egg instead.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup egg whites (or 1 whole egg)
- 1/2 scoop protein powder of your choice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place oats and water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for about 1 minute.
- Add egg whites and stir. Return bowl to microwave and cook for 30 seconds. Remove bowl and stir. Continue to cook in 30 second intervals (stirring in between) until the egg whites are cooked and thoroughly incorporated (you'll know because they'll be white and fluffy).
- Add protein powder and cinnamon and stir until incorporated. You may need to add a tablespoon or two of water or almond milk in order for there to be enough liquid to dissolve the protein powder.
- Serve hot, or refrigerate and reheat when ready to serve.
You can add almonds or dried cranberries if you need a little something extra, but it's pretty tasty on it's own. If you use a protein powder that isn't sweetened (mine is sweetened with stevia) you can add a little maple syrup or stevia to sweeten it up.
My next oatmeal task is to perfect my savory oats!