attack of the killer mosquitos

Yesterday was a beautiful day, and lucky for me, I got to come home from work early.  I managed to take a nap and then went for a run.  It was way hotter than I thought it was, so I pretty much melted the entire time. 

Jeremy (Brittany's husband) texted me while I was on my way out the door, so I had a buddy for most of my run.  We ran on the Tour of Anchorage trail, which was nice...until we got attacked by swarms of mosquitos.  Seriously.  Swarms.  I think they must have all hatched a couple of days ago because I have never seen that many in one place at a time.  I am now the proud wearer of several very itchy bites.  The wost of which is on the back of my ear and is surprisingly painful.  

I felt pretty lousy the entire time and actually ended up walking more than I would like to admit.  

I only meant to run 3 or 4 miles, but ended up at almost 6 miles.  Who does that?  Me apparently. 

Photo Jun 05, 18 09 29 Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 4.06.01 PM
I was covered in dead bug parts when I got home.  Ick!

Lately I have been suffering from really tired legs, so I decided to take an ice bath hoping it would help my legs feel better faster.  So after my mosquitoy, sweaty run, I put on my sweatshirt and my shorts and got in an ice cold bathtub of water.  I have decided that the key to doing this (since I've done it all of one time) is to get in before you cool down too much, otherwise it will be more torture than it already is.

ice bath
I don't know if it was the ice bath or not, but my legs felt better today than I expected them to.  Which is good becasue this afternoon I had a track workout with Doug scheduled.  

Unfortunately, today it is clody and rainy...kind of a letdown after yesterdays nice weather.  

I got to the track a few minutes early and decided there was no sense in standing around getting wet, so I started my warmup.  It was a little creepy running around the track alone in the rain (for those of you not from Anchorage, the Bartlett HS track is surrounded on 3 sides by woods and the other side opens to the soccer/football field, the gym/pool is on the other side of the field, it's kind of secluded, which is nice...unless you're scared of bears...).  

After my warmup, we did a few drills to get my legs moving, and then I ran 16 x 200s with 30 sec of rest in between.  I ran them between 1:04 and 1:07, which essentially translates to an 8:30 pace.  I'm pretty excited about this because I was able to maintain good form most of the time, and although it was a pace that I really had to work to keep up, it wasn't awful.  

Running on the track in the rain reminded me of how I always skipped track workouts during cross-country running in high school...especially if it was raining.  Brittany and I usually opted for a puddle run instead of a rainy track workout (add that to my list of reasons why best friends are useful - because they are always willing to skip a track workout for a puddle run)!

Next order of running business is to incororate my faster pace into longer runs (i.e. tempo runs)!  Happy Wednesday!